Point/Park a Domain
Posted by - NA - on 03 March 2007 02:33 PM
To point a domain can mean pointing the DNS or name servers to a hosting company, or it can mean pointing the domain name to an existing website.
When you sign up for Arvixe hosting, we will offer a new domain registration and automatically point the domain to the hosting website.
For any additional domains, or domains purchased without hosting, we provide an option for pointing the website. You normally want to choose the first option to point the domain name to one of your hosting plans, so you will enter your hosting username and skip the other options. If you do not select the first option and enter your hosting username, then your domain name will not point to your Arvixe hosting and no one will see your new website.
This can be rectified after you place your order.
1. Login to https://billing.arvixe.com
2. Click the Past Notifications link in the right-hand menu.
3. Find the email we sent to you titled "(your domain) New Account Information"
4. Click to open that message and note the name servers. You do not need to note the IP addresses.
5. Go back and click the Domains link in the billing right-hand menu.
6. Click on your domain name and it will expand to show more options.
7. Go to View/Change DNS Servers and enter the two name servers you noted earlier.
8. Click the Go button to save the changes. Allow 24 to 48 hours for the changes to propagate.
Before moving a site from another host to Arvixe, you must purchase an Arvixe plan, receive your New Account Information email, and optionally publish or migrate your web files and data to the new Arvixe server. Once all those steps are done, then you can point your domain to the new site.
WARNING: Many new customers will sign up and choose the option to transfer their domain name. However, this transfer does not point your website and/or email services to Arvixe. This merely gives Arvixe control over the domain management and billing. You will still need to change your name servers at some point.
Once you sumbit your Authorization Code, the domain name transfer starts, and you cannot change the name servers until the domain name transfer is complete or fails. Because of this, we recommend to only supply your Authorization Code after you have already changed the name servers with your previous host. If the previous host or other registrar is not making that easy, then you will want to initate the domain name transfer as soon as possible because you won't be able to change the name servers at Arvixe until it is complete.
Here are the typical migration steps, which need to be taken in exact order.
1. Purchase hosting from Arvixe
2. Confirm you have the New Account Information email
3. Inside that email is a link to http://www.arvixe.com/ftp.php. If you want Arvixe to help migrate your existing website and other data, read the conditions and click the green Initiate Transfer Now button.
4. Wait for your data migration to complete. If you request Arvixe to help, please allow 24-72 hours for confirmation.
5. Now you can point your domain to the Arvixe server.
6. Allow 24-48 hours for propagation and then you can test the services and potentially cancel your old hosting plan.
This is an option when you order a domain registration service. This means that you will assign the DNS or name servers later. While DNS is parked, the domain can be managed through the domain control panel. Before you can use these domains with a website or email, you need to "unpark" it by pointing it to a hosting company. To point your domain to Arvixe, check your New Account email for the correct name servers and update those via our billing panel.
cPanel Parked Domains, point to existing site
This allows you to direct additional domain names to your primary website. The parked domain will not change in the address bar of browsers. If you want the address to change, consider using an Addon Domain instead and then setup a Redirect.
WSP Pointing and Parking to existing site
When you add a new domain in the WebSite Panel, you have an option to create a unique website, or point to an existing website. If you point, then the new domain is added to the existing domain's Website Properties. This will be like adding a Parked Domain in cPanel.
Okay What DNS Settings do I Change and put at the resistor where I first registed the domain? I only want to point it at my Arvixe hosting package and use it as one of my 6 domains.
Should i put a support ticket
I purchased a domain name from godaddy.com and have added it to the domains on my Arvixe control panel. How do I setup the nameservers so that the domain points to my Arvixe hosting? Where can I find the nameserver details? Do I make the changes on godaddy?
i have made new hosting plan and my domain with godaddy..i need to point my domain to the hosting pacakge...can you provide me with the name server
Why my AddOn Domain auto redirect to domain.com/cgi-sys/...
I have a .com domain registered at GoDaddy. Is it possible to keep it their I.e. using their nameservers and simply forward it to an account hosted through you. (I need to keep it with them as I am forwarding sub-domains to secure reseller websites of mine).
Is there any charge for parking extra domains? I have a hosting plan and I also want to keep 3-4 domains parked until the site rolls out. Should I expect to pay extra?
now i want to register another domain as free 6 domains provided in my pack.
guide me step by step,which settings i need to follow ?
i have PersonalClass ASP Pro plan ...
Are there any way I can point my DNS entry to your hosting without having to go through your nameservers. I would very much like to keep all my domains managed by my old traditional service while purchasing hosting space from you.