Transferring a domain to Arvixe
Posted by Noah Strehl on 12 August 2009 09:46 PM
Currently you can only register/transfer these following top-level domains: .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .us, .me , .in, .mobi, .mx, .pro, .pw , .ru, .tv, .co.uk, .ca, .fr with Arvixe.|
If your domain is not one of those, then you can not register/transfer it with Arvixe. However, just because you can't register/transfer them to Arvixe does not mean that you cannot host them here. You can, and are welcome to do so! All you have to do is update the name servers of the domain to the ones that Arvixe will provide you.
To start, go to arvixe.com, in the middle of the page there is a Search Availability box, search for the domain you'd like to transfer, add it to your cart, and continue with the order.
To transfer a domain to Arvixe Web Hosting from another registrar, you should check to make sure that you have completed a few things before you start.
A few points of interest:
- Make certain that you update the name servers at your old registrar to point to Arvixe so that your website remains available, because during the transfer this functionality may be unavailable. The name servers can be found in the Hosting Account email. Contact Live Chat or call our Phone Support if you need assists.
- Check to see if your domain was created or transferred within the last 60 days. If it was, ICANN regulations make it so that you will be unable to transfer it. Please wait for 60 days to pass from the time of the registration/transfer.
- Have your current registrar unlock the domain, making it so transfer requests can be made.
- Update your email email address on your domain contact information: Click here and enter your domain; does your current email address show up? If not then you will need to update it or you won't get our transfer authorization email. Be certain that your WHOIS database information is not set to private, or the WHOIS contact information will be not be accessible at all.
- Retrieve an Authorization/EPP Key from your current registrar, and enter it during the purchase. If you don't have one yet, you can give it to an Arvixe Staff member by contacting us at sales [at] arvixe.com or by opening a Live Chat.
This code is what allows us to take possession of your domain.
- Please make sure sales [at] arvixe.com support [at] arvixe.com and domains [at] arvixe.com are on your email server/client whitelist and check your spam folder for emails during the time period we issue a domain transfer.
- If you don't know who your domain registrar is, you can look it up. All the information you need except the authorization code can be reviewed here. Just enter the domain name in the box and you will see all the information about your domain (if it is unlocked, what e-mail address is linked with it, etc.)
- Within 24 hours after a transfer was initiated, a verification email is sent to the owner of the domain. The email will be sent to the email address on file on the WHOIS database (unless it is privately registered, then it will be sent to the email address of the privacy department at your old registrar).
- After accepting the email verification, the old registrar is asked for the domain. If the domain is unlocked, then the old registrar has the right to hold on to the domain for up to 5 days. After 5 days, the domain is automatically transferred.
- Only after Arvixe has emailed you notifying the transfer has finished should the service at the old provider be canceled.